Google Pay (previously known as Page) is very convenient to amalgamate a lot of payment methods under one application and makes online shopping much more streamlined.
We’ll be discussing the following things in this post:
- How to Use Google Pay?
- Change Default Google Pay Privacy Settings
- How to Send Money to Friends?
- How to Buy Stuff?
How to use Google Pay?
Note: The Google Pay app is only available for Android version 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher.
Please follow the steps mentioned below to install Google Pay app on your android phone:
- Go to Google Playstore and search for ‘Google Pay’ or ‘GPay’
- Click the top link in the search results and install the Google Pay app
- Open the app, enter the mobile number which will be linked to your bank account, and click ‘Next’
- A verification number will be sent to the mobile number you entered. Enter the verification number in the provided space to verify your account
- Choose the type of lock from the given options:
- Screen Lock: Your default screen lock will be used to unlock the Google Pay app
- Google PIN: Google Pay app will ask you to enter a PIN code that will be used whenever you enter the app
- You have entered the Google Pay app.
- Add Bank Account: In the top left corner of the app, just below your name you’ll see an option ‘+ ADD BANK ACCOUNT’. Click on it.
- Next, select your bank name. The app will send an SMS to your bank and if your provided mobile number is registered with your bank account, Google Pay will receive a verification message.
- Click on the ‘Enter UPI PIN’ button and enter a UPI PIN and click on the tick button
- A screen will pop up telling you that your bank account has been added.
Change Default Google Pay Privacy Settings
If you are using the default privacy settings in the Google Pay app, Google has the ability to share some of your personal data and credit information with others. If you are privacy-conscious and concerned about this data, you may consider opting-out the following three Google Pay options:
Source: Brendan Hesse
Of the above three settings, the first two are most worthy to be pondered about. Both of these options allow Google to share your personal information and credit rating with a business that Google owns. If you uncheck these options, Google won’t be able to share this information and it won’t how you use Google Pay app, in any way.
The third option makes Google Pay a checkout option on some websites by allowing Google to notify online merchants and businesses that you have a Google Pay account. Based on this description, it is entirely up to you, whether you want Google Pay to be a possible checkout option on online stores.
How to Send Money to Friends?
Google Pay app also lets you send money to others using their phone number or email address. But unfortunately, this option is only available in the US. Google is working towards making it available for other countries as well. So hopefully, others will also be able to enjoy this feature in the near future.
Note: The person you are sending the money to, must also be a Google Pay user. If they don’t have the Google Pay app and don’t claim the payment within 14 days, the money will be returned back to your account.
To send money:
- Open the Google Pay app.
- At the bottom right corner of the app, tap ‘Send’.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap ‘+Send or request’.
- Choose a contact number from the provided list.
- Enter the amount of money you want to send.
- Tap ‘Send’.
- Tap ‘Confirm and Send’.
How to Buy Stuff?
You can use your Google Pay app to make online payments or even physical stores. Here’s how it works.
If you are making a payment at a physical store, look for the ‘GPay’ logo. Then scan the picture and the Google Pay app will automatically launch. Once the logo is registered with the app, follow the simple instructions on the screen and enter your PIN number to confirm.
When you are shopping online at a web store, just look for the button named ‘Buy with GPay’ at the checkout (If you don’t find ‘Buy with GPay’, try finding ‘Google Wallet’ or ‘Android Pay’). Tap that button, confirm your payment and the rest will take care of itself.